A church-centered movement for the long-term transformation of the city and the nations.
Because the church is the primary vehicle in God’s redemptive plan. At the heart of the Lima Initiative is a strategic church-planting effort responding to the rapid urbanization of Latin America.
Why the City?
The world grows increasingly urban; more people live in cities than ever before. A UN report predicts that by 2050, 9 out of 10 in Latin America will live in cities. Cities are centers of influence, global connecting points–strategic for the gospel to spread to every sector of society.
At 9 million, Lima is the fourth most populous in South America. It boasts one of the world’s fastest growing economies while 60% of its population live in shanty towns. Lima is an important nexus and a launching point for an urban church strategy.
Core Components of Lima Initiative Model Churches
- Resource Center to train pastors for church-based leadership development and igniting church-planting movements
- Ministry Training Center for equipping international missionaries dedicated to the growth of God’s global church
- Discipling Communities through church-based theological education (CBTE) and leadership training
- Fellows Program to train and mentor professionals for the integration of faith and vocation rooted in the local church
- Welfare of the City mobilizing God’s people to respond to the brokenness of the urban context with God’s shalom